Procedure and Tasks
- Measure the mass of liquid nitrogen in a thermos bottle as function of time
- Introduce a mole of different metals into the liquid nitrogen and measure the mass of the system again as a function of time
- Determine the mass of liquid nitrogen evaporated by the metal
- Insert an electric heater in the liquid nitrogen, heat it with a power which yields a similar evaporation rate as the metals and measure the mass as a function of time
- Calculate the heat of evaporation of 1g of liquid N2 (199J/g)
- Calculate the transferred energy for the different metals (this is the integral of the specific heat per one mole)
- Compare the experimental result with the theoretical prediction, using the Debye model and the literature values for the Debye Temperature.